Thursday, June 6, 2013

Elegant Baby Shower Cake

So, the research and development for the last post was to make this cake.

 photo f70cfc5f-a280-429b-be00-91dfdc5a68f4_zpsf05946fe.jpg

I was asked to come up with ideas for the baby shower cake. When she sent me the invitation, I immediately said, "Why don't I do that?" The picture in the middle of the invitation was the basis for the cake above. The flavor was Italian Cream, and I used cream cheese icing under the fondant and between the layers since it had two. The whole cake was initially covered with the pink fondant to provide a solid layer for structure. If you piece together the colors, they tend to want to separate and look terrible. If you cover it with a solid layer, then layer over that with the other colors, no problem. I used buttercream for the outlines and facial features. My wife tells me it looked much better in person. I generally agree, but still like the picture.

I received great feedback from the party that this cake was a major highlight of the festivities. They loved the flavor as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment