Thursday, June 6, 2013

Mario Kart Go Cart Track

My son wanted a go cart birthday party. We went to a local go cart track, which also had a huge game room. Personally, I spent most of the time out on the track and had a blast. After the party, the kids that were at the party that I raced with started telling others at school that I was an awesome go cart racer. Love it!

So, to go with the party theme, we decided he would get a Mario Kart themed cake. I pondered this one for a while, because I wanted to bring in the go cart feel.


 photo 33a84f75-f523-4d4e-88f5-870ea8dda4b0_zps224331d1.jpg

The "tires" around the outside of the track are cut out using an O fondant letter cutter, then rounded out a bit. The track is also fondant. The cake was chocolate and I used a chocolate buttercream icing (my favorite combination) on the cake to make it look sort of muddy. I then used the hair/grass tip to put on the grass. During a trip to the party store, we found the other props to put on it. The Yoshi and Mario carts were attached to small containers of candy. I popped those off and just used the carts. The prize box in the back left was filled with the gold coin candy that I ended up using to spell his name out on the track. The mushroom also had candy in it, but I didn't use that candy for the cake. I think it was green apple candy, and it was really good. We ate it later. The bomb and star were also candy filled. I thought putting the mushroom under the jump was a nice touch since that is like one of my favorite tracks in the game.

Since this one was chocolate on chocolate, I got a lot of compliments on it. It always turns out real moist. I think we ate less than 2/3 of it at the party, so I took it to work the next day. It didn't last until lunchtime.

No comments:

Post a Comment