Thursday, June 6, 2013

Soccer

I never realized just how complex the design of a soccer ball really is. The combination of different types of polygons never really struck me until I had to reproduce it. The child for this party wanted a soccer themed cake. This is pretty much what I came up with.


 photo 7422a7d4-a53a-4a13-8172-5540de05b5f7_zps82988206.jpg

I think you can safely assume that the kid's name was Emily and she was 8. Most of this was done with only buttercream icing. Only the black part of the soccer ball is fondant. The balls were two layers of cake which were hand-carved to get the ball shape. In order to get them all onto a board that would fit into a standard cake box, I had to keep them pretty close together. It doesn't look bad, but icing the area between them was a nightmare.

No comments:

Post a Comment