Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Swimming Angry Bird Cake

I absolutely love how this cake turned out.

0929120944 photo 0929120944.jpg

This is another one that was done for a swimming party. They wanted an angry birds cake, but I'm sure they didn't dream it would look like this. I used few pictures from the game to get an idea of what the different views of the bird looked like. I picked the yellow one for the shape. Making a ball like most of the birds' shapes is fairly easy, but if you are going to transport it, it could be a problem since the sides can settle a bit. I went with the yellow bird because of the cone shape. Since it was a swimming party, I added the goggles to the bird. I tired to make the goggles look like they were transparent by stippling white dye over the green goggles to give it an effect like you were looking through them to see the eyes. The effect turned out reasonably well. The beak I struggled with a bit. I made it in two parts and let the fondant sit out and dry so it would stand up to gravity. I then attached the two pieced with icing and toothpicks. It still wanted to come off, but it did stay eventually. If I did it again, I would make the beak out of one piece instead. I think I used a chopstick under the top part of the beak to ensue it would stay in place, which finally did the trick.

0929120944b photo 0929120944b.jpg

As you can see from the other angles, there are feathers on the head and tail to round it out. This one was sort of fun, because there were swim classes going on while I set this up. I had a small crowd around me watching as I put on the finishing touches. I even had a parent ask me if this was a cake, just so they could be sure. That made me feel pretty good.


0929120944a photo 0929120944a.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment