Thursday, June 6, 2013

Elmo Cake

I'll go on record saying that there are two icing colors that I hate to make. Red and black are horrible because they take a whole mess of dye to get a vibrant color. You can't exactly do an Elmo cake without being bright red.


 photo 820a45d5-36ab-4f96-aba2-a861ded252a3_zps6bb7a885.jpg

The heart, mouth, nose and eyes were fondant, but the rest was buttercream icing. In fact, it took a little while to do because I used the grass/hair icing tip to give him a fuzzy appearance. That means that for every square centimeter of surface that I had to place the "hair" and pull away to get the effect I wanted. It's not hard, just tedious. He looked cute though, and they loved it. I've gotten other orders of of this one.

Carving the figure was probably the hardest part of this cake. Trying to get enough detail so that it wouldn't disappear under the hair and especially trying to make it look like one leg was slightly in front of the other without compromising the strength of the cake was interesting. It worked out though. The eyes were the biggest problem because they kept wanting to fall off since they stuck out a bit until I got the fondant over them and sort of tacked it down with icing. You could see individual fingers in person, but they don't really show up well in the picture.

No comments:

Post a Comment