Thursday, July 1, 2010

Christmas Tree Cake

This Christmas Tree cake was made using a shaped pan. I have quite a few shaped pans that I almost never use. I try to avoid the character pans because I'll really never use those, but I think I have a few anyway. I covered this cake using an icing tip that is used to make a hair effect. I figured it would make it look more like pine needles. I think I used M&Ms and sour Skittles for the ornaments. The sour Skittles have an opaque sugar coating that added a little more interest since all of the ornaments wouldn't simply be primary color shiny. Unfortunately, I used canned icing for the garland. Canned icing really isn't of much use for anything except covering a cake. It's way too soft for any real decorating. It turned out well enough, but I wish that I would have simply mixed another batch of white icing instead of using that canned stuff. Additionally, I wish I had pulled out some sort of toy to put on the top. Again, the bow I tried to put on there would have worked using my own icing, but not with the canned. Live and learn.

No comments:

Post a Comment