Thursday, July 8, 2010

Clear Lake High School Graduation

Done for another co-worker for his daughter's graduation. Chocolate cake with white icing. That poses a bit of a challenge because the crumb coat becomes vitally important. That's where you put a thin layer of icing on and let it crust over before putting the final layer of icing on. The crumbs are so dark that you have to make sure the crumb coat gets it all or you will see the dark crumbs through the white. Not pretty. This and the one in the next post were experiments. It was the first time that I tried doing buttercream transfers. I learned about the transfer technique where you ice the image upside down on plastic wrap ahead of time, then freeze it. Whe you get ready to do the cake, you put icing on the cake as normal, then just pop the transfer into place and put icing around it to integrate. Doing this, you can do the image ahead of time as early as you wish. When I'm doing a cake on a weeknight, it saves a ton of time since the detail work is usually what takes the longest. In this case, I did the images on a Tuesday night for cakes due on Thursday and Friday. The images waited for me in containers in the freezer until I was ready for them. In this case, the eagle was the transfer that I did ahead of time. It can be a little worrisome because you are doing the image upside down and can't see the finished product until you've frozen it. My wife, who always thinks of the common sense solutions, suggested that I use a piece of glass for this so I can see my work during the process. I'll admit that the thought didn't cross my mind. I was using a plastic cutting board, which tends to be rather opaque. I did these as practice sessions for the more ambitious image I had planned later in the month.

No comments:

Post a Comment