Friday, July 2, 2010

Transformers, Take 2: Bumblebee!

My son wanted a Transformers cake for his birthday. I already used the Transformers logo idea, so I had to come up with something different. We settled on Bumblebee. To keep it easy, I decided to do him with his face shields in place. I used marshmallow fondant on this cake too. I baked a half sheet and then carved it in the shape of his head. The side pieces were glued onto the sides with butter cream icing. I think this was the first time I tinted the fondant. It takes a lot of kneading to get it good and mixed to that you have uniform color. If you have ever worked with clay, fondant is pretty much the same thing. You have the knead it to get the bubbles out. If you fold it over, you will create more bubbles. If there are any bubbles in it when you roll it out, they'll pop out and make the icing all lumpy.

After covering the cake with the yellow fondant, I painted on the rest of the details with black and red cake dye.

No comments:

Post a Comment