Saturday, July 3, 2010

SpiderMan Cupcakes

My son was into Spider-Man at the time, so I decided to make him a Spider-Man cupcake "cake" for his birthday. I hate making red icing. It takes so much dye to make it and get a good color. In retrospect, I could have made the black suited Spider-man, but then it would have taken a ton of black, and that's not much better. To save on the red, I pushed all of the cupcakes together and frosted them with white to cover it all and get it sort of flat. Then I put the red on top of the white icing once it crusted over. I piped on the black lines and that was it. The main problem with the cupcake "cakes" is that it takes quite a bit of icing to get the cake effect and fill in the voids. Most people end up scraping off a good portion of the icing because there is just too much to eat unless you're a sugar fiend. We started with the idea of doing separate cupcakes and just buying the little Spider-Man cupcake toppers to stick in the top. I wasn't satisfied with that idea, so it evolved into this before I was happy. This was my first cupcake "cake", so it was an experiment too.

No comments:

Post a Comment