Thursday, July 8, 2010

Toy Story Birthday

I simply love the way this one turned out. This is the one that I practiced the buttercream transfer technique for when I did the graduation logos. This was done for another parent we know who learned that I did cakes. She wanted a half sheet Toy Story cake for her son's birthday. Since toy Story 3 was coming out around that time frame, finding pictures online was quite easy. I found a picture that I used a reference for the image above. I took a cookie sheet and covered it with plastic wrap. Then I started with the black icing with a very small tip and did all the outlines. Then I built up the colors one layer at a time until I had all of them. I'll admit that this one made me nervous. I did it early in the week so that I could do it again if I messed it up. Since it was so big and took so long to do, I didn't know until the next day what it would look like because it had to freeze and set up before I could turn it over to see it. I freaked because Woody's head popped off when I flipped it over, but it was an easy fix and no harm done. I tend get bothered by little details, and there were a few lines on the characters that I wasn't real happy with. I fixed some, but missed a coupld that I would have rather had on there. The cake was due Friday, so I baked the cake Thursday night and put on the basic icing. Then I simply laid on the image I piped earlier in the week and iced around it to integrate it in. After that, all that was needed was the piping around the edges and the lettering and it was done.

No comments:

Post a Comment