Thursday, July 8, 2010

Sex In The City 2 Premiere


I will admit, I am not a fan of Sex In The City. I just never got into the show, so I never watched the movies either. My friend Krystal is all about it though. The asked me to make a cake for the premiere of Sex In The City 2. She's one of my biggest fans, so of course I said I'd do it. She wanted pink fondant with "Fab" written on it. The pictures above are what I ended up with. I had offered to do a shoe, or some other fashion accessory, but this is what she wanted. This started out normal enough, until I got to the fondant. As I've stated before, I use marshmallow fondant. Depending on the temperature, it can be a little stiff. One option is to add a teaspoon or two of corn syrup to make it more pliable. I did that. It took on the consistency of silly putty. It was actually hard to work with because any air bubbles popped out more than usual and it was really hard to remove them all since it was so soft. The weird thing is that I have made the same recipe since then and added the corn syrup without getting the same effect. Maybe the marshmallows were either an off brand or older or something. It tasted fine, but even she admitted that the texture was different because it was a bit more chewy. Not a complete failure, but not perfect either. She wanted it sparkly, so I told her to stop by the cake supply place in Houston and pick out whatever sparkly items she wanted to use. She found the edible silver beads, clear glitter, and silver glitter. I promised that I would use whatever she found. The silver beads were put on idividually with tweezers for the wording and all the way around the base. The top picture shows the cake after the glitter was put on top. The one below was before the glitter was added.

No comments:

Post a Comment