Sunday, July 4, 2010

Lego Brick


My digital camera really didn't like the red on red of the pictures. I did what I could to make the details stand out a bit.
My son decided he wanted a lego brick for his birthday cake. We also said he wanted it to be red. It just had to be red, didn't it? I so didn't feel like mixing up that much red icing. I could have used fondant to cover the cake and it would have been all smooth and I could have even made nice sharp angles. I didn't really want to make him another cake covered with fondant though. I can get reasonably sharp corners with regular icing when I have to. It just takes some patience. Usually, you see cakes with piping at the top because it is far easier to do that than it is to get a nice clean edge on the icing without it.
I happened to be at the store and saw that they sold buckets of red icing pre-mixed. I grabbed one and headed home. I made a half sheet cake and cut it in half. Then I stacked the halves on top of each other to make the main body of the brick. cupcakes were used to make the dots on top. Instead of the Lego logo on each of the dots, I put his name on some of them. It's a bit hard to make out since it is red on red. It turned out well enough. The problem was that red icing that I bought. It tasted weird. Even the kids at the party made comments about the taste of the red icing. Lesson learned, always make my own icing. After the party, I didn't even keep the remaining cake to take to work since I wasn't very pleased with the taste. I just tossed it. I haven't wasted my time buying fondant at the store either, but I imagine it's just as bad.

No comments:

Post a Comment